Friday, October 26, 2012

Polka face

I have been noticing polka dot jeans popping up everywhere. I have seen them on some of my favorite shopping sites. However, they aren't really affordable or in my price range. So I decided to make my own! Here are some inspiration pictures:

These are from Anthropologie. They aren't available anymore, but Anthro definitely isn't the cheapest.

These are from Shopbop and they cost $190, which is way out of my price range.


So I set out to Forever 21 to buy some $10 plain jeans. I looked around my house for the right size circle and my white oil-based paint. Here's the tutorial:

What You'll Need:
1. Jeans
2. Something round - I used the top of a glue stick (with the cap on)
3. White paint - you can use fabric paint or I used oil-based paint
4. Tape
5. Scissors

Directions:
1. Tape off the jeans in a diagonal pattern. Here's an example of my tape pattern:

2. Dip the glue stick in the paint and put a dot in all of the corners of the tape pattern and one in the middle.
3. Repeat this step (because it will need two coats). Here is what it will look like with tape and paint:

4. Take off the tape and see if there are any holes. Fill in the holes with more dots.
5. Let dry and then do the back side the same way.

Here is what the back looked like:





And finally, here is what the finished product looks like:




I am very pleased with how they turned out! These will definitely be a favorite for me this fall. And they only cost me about $15 overall. That sure beats $190. Stay tuned for my Halloween costume.





No comments:

Post a Comment