Sunday, October 7, 2012

DIY Silhouette Cake Toppers

I am excited to share another wedding DIY with you! Kyle's family has silhouettes of each family member. In our living room we have several of them framed and hung on the wall. I love the simplicity of them and that you can tell exactly who each one is. So we decided to have silhouettes as part of our wedding theme.

The first thing you will need to do is create a digital silhouette. I am very lucky because Kyle is a graphic designer, so he just whipped ours up in Photoshop from two profile pictures of us. However, I did find a great DIY digital silhouette tutorial on Pinterest.

Here is what our finished digital silhouettes look like:



Now it's time for the cake topper DIY.

What You'll Need:

1. A print out of your silhouettes
2. Scissors
3. Black Cardstock
4. Pencil
5. Sucker sticks
6. Sharpie
7. Super glue

Steps:

1. Cut out the printed silhouettes.
2. Trace the printed silhouettes onto the cardstock using a pencil.
3. Cut out the silhouettes on the card stock
4. Color half of the sucker stick with a sharpie (so it is black like the cardstock). But only color half because the white half will go in the cake. I don't know about you, but I don't really want to eat Sharpie cake.
5. Super glue the black half of the sucker stick to the back of your silhouettes.

Here is an after picture of ours:



I think these will look really great on top of our cake and I love how they really look like us!

2 comments:

  1. Obsessed with this. I love how you can really tell who it is. I never would have thought it would look that good if you hadn't shown me before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I was really surprised at how much it looks like us. When Kyle showed me the digital one I was so shocked that you could really tell it was us! Thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete