Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Birthday & Chalkboard

Today is my birthday!! So I thought a great birthday post would be a DIY project!

This weekend Kyle and I did some major hunting at our local Goodwill store. We found some great finds that allowed us to start some new projects. Recently, I have been super excited about the wedding and I tackle a wedding project any chance I get. So, when we were at Goodwill and I saw some silver trays, I knew I wanted to make them into chalkboard signs for our wedding. I knew if I painted the middle, the silver rim would make a great frame. While this project is for my wedding, these would look great in a home as well.

Here is a look at the trays before:


What You'll Need:

Silver Trays
Chalkboard paint
A paintbrush (I used a small foam brush)
Silver paint pen
Newspaper (if you want to keep your work area clean)

Steps:
1. Start by painting the edges with the chalkboard paint first. I used a small paint brush so this would be easier and more precise for me.
2. Paint an even coat throughout the middle of the trays.
3. Let dry. Then paint another coat on each of them. This time try just to run the paint brush smoothly over the entire tray, that way there won't be obvious edges.
4. Let dry again. Then, take a silver paint pen and run along the edges of the paint and the silver. This will cover any imperfect edges of the paint and give the silver outline a little pop. Here is a picture of Kyle doing that part:


5. Let the silver dry and you are ready to write on the trays!

And here are our after pictures:



 

I think these would be super cute in a kitchen and that's probably what I'll do when I'm done with them at the wedding. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. Is chalkboard paint expensive? I've been thinking about making cute little things like this for my classroom, but I've never bought chalkboard paint before. Yours look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle's mom actually made me something with once and gave me the rest of it. So I'm not sure how much it is. The one we have is a little one and we have used it several times and it's still half full! So I would say it's a good investment and to get the small one for sure. That would be so cute in your class :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen on Pinterest that you can make it yourself! So no, I think it can be quite cheap!

    ReplyDelete