Monday, September 24, 2012

Cheese Please

Normally I love to bake and hate to cook. But with fall rolling around I have found myself falling in love with a certain item that I have to cook: potatoes au gratin. The other day I wanted them with dinner and Kyle (the usual chef at our house) groaned when I showed him the recipe. So I offered to make them. And boy did my hard work pay off, in the cheesy variety.

I used this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. The recipe is copied below with some of my modifications.

I usually cut the recipe in half since I am only feeding two people. Even cutting it in half, we always have leftovers the next day. We just heat the leftovers up in a pan and they are just as delicious!

Ingredients

  • 4 whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
  • 1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 cup Whole Milk - If you don't have whole milk you can use what you have and just add more flour
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated
  • I also like to add Basil since we have some fresh Basil we grew this summer

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish. -Since I cut the recipe in half I use a loaf pan
Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.
In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.
Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving by the spoonful. Delicious!

Here is ours:

It seriously tastes like a warm hug, which is perfect for a crisp fall day, if you ask me. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment