Sunday, July 22, 2012

Teal my heart

I try to make my blog titles as cool as the catchy names that Modcloth makes up for their clothes. Alas, I think I have a ways to go. Today I wanted to share with you a new piece that we have in the booth and that we upcycled.

I bought this side table a long time ago for pretty cheap. It was in my college apartment as wood for a long time and has since been sitting in the garage. So I decided to fix it up and sell it in the booth. I am in love with teal. I don't know why, but I am always drawn to it. We decided this would be the perfect piece to paint teal and add a pop of color to the booth. I had the idea to paint the wheels and the handle white to really set it off.

Here is a picture of me starting the process.

 
For this we ran some sand paper over it quickly just to roughen it up. The reason we didn't completely sand it is because of the paint we use. We always use an oil-based paint. Not only is it really glossy, but it holds up very well and will stick to almost anything. Be careful using this paint because when I say it sticks to anything, I also mean clothes, skin and paint brushes. We buy a big pack of foam brushes and use them once or twice. That way we don't ruin one of our nice brushes.
 
Before we started, we turned the table upside down and spray painted the wheels. We also removed the handle and spray painted that. Then, I went to work and put two coats on it. And that's it! Pretty simple if you ask me :)

And here's the after! You can find it in our booth.

 
Next up this week I have a project to share with you that I did for my friend's wedding. I hope you had a good weekend!

Chanel

No comments:

Post a Comment