Saturday, February 23, 2013

With this frame, I be wed

When we created our black and white family picture wall in our house I decided that I wanted to incorporate wedding pictures of our relatives in our wedding somehow. So recently, I set out to find frames that I would like to frame the pictures in. I went to my usual shopping spots, thrift shops and Goodwill. I slowly collected frames I liked and then decided to paint them teal to match our wedding colors. Here is the DIY tutorial for painting frames:

What You'll Need:
1. Frames
2. Paint and brush (or spray paint)
3. Glass cleaner
4. Newspaper

Directions:
1. Take the back and glass out of the picture frame and put on newspaper. This will make it much easier to paint. Here is a picture of my frames before:


2. Paint the picture frames. I only put one coat on because I wanted the gold to show through the teal a little.
3. While you're letting them dry, clean the glass (since these are from thrift shops they tend to be dust city). Here is a picture of the frames drying:


4. Put the frame back together with the picture.

Here is the finished product with a picture of my grandparents:





It's a really easy process with only a few items. It was a cheap project that is really sentimental. Stay tuned, later this week we will have a booth update!

4 comments:

  1. Love this!! I talk about your family wall a lot when I visit other people's apartments haha!! I can't wait to see it in action at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My mom has a family wall in our hallway, so that's where I got the idea. Let's be honest, I get most of my ideas from my mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need special paint or does acrylic work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always use oil-based paint for all of our projects because we like the glossy look. However, I looked into it and I think acrylic will work. You can use acrylic on glass, so I think it would actually adhere well to the frame (because it is really hard to adhere to glass, so if it can adhere to that it can probably adhere to anything). Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete